Major media players include South Africa. In addition to a thriving satellite and cable TV industry, there is a well-established state-owned and private broadcasting scene.
MultiChoice, a South African company that runs the DStv platform, markets its pay TV services throughout many African nations.
Multiple language TV and radio networks are operated by the state broadcaster, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC). However, it has faced financial challenges, claims of political censorship, and a scandal involving a former executive in recent years.
Several large publishing companies control the vibrant press scene.
According to Reporters Without Borders, it is forbidden to cover certain topics involving the finances of the government and the ruling ANC because it might incite retaliation from the authorities.
According to Internetworldstats.com, 57 percent of the population—or 34.5 million people—used the internet in December 2021.
Mobile device use is what drives Internet usage. Freedom House claims that access is unrestricted.
- The Star, a daily published in Johannesburg, is the city's first newspaper.
- Tabloid The Sowetan is based in Johannesburg.
- Beeld is the largest Afrikaans newspaper.
- Weekly publication Mail andamp; Guardian, Inc.
- Everyday is a business day.
- Business weekly Financial Mail.
- Oldest Sunday newspaper; available only to subscribers is Sunday Times/The Times.
- news website News24.
- The state-run SABC broadcasts on two pay-TV channels and runs three national TV networks.
- E . TV is a free-to-air, for-profit channel that also runs the eNCA news network.
- Pay-TV with a pan-African audience is M-Net.
- English-language SAfm, music station 5 FM, Afrikaans station Radio Sonder Grense, Zulu station Ukhozi FM, and Sesotho station Lesedi FM are just a few of the regional and national services offered by the SABC, a state-run broadcaster, in multiple languages.
- the pan-African external radio station of the SABC.
- YFM - a well-known Johannesburg jingle R.
- 702 Talk Radio is a commercial news and talk station in Johannesburg.
- News and content syndication service provided by African News Agency.