Turkish earthquake: People came to be healed, but they perished under the debris

The hospital before the earthquake and the scene as seen by the BBC

People used to come here to get help and healing. However, when the earthquake struck over a week ago, the intensive care unit at the hospital in Iskenderun Devlet Hastanesi was reduced to ruins.

300 people, including staff, patients, and visitors, were inside, according to rescuers on the scene. The number of survivors is unknown.

The rage in this place is increasing, not the least because many people have seen a building report on the website of the health ministry. The phrase "earthquake resistance test came back negative" is highlighted in red.

2012 saw its release. Locals at the location are talking about it and sharing information with one another, but it is unknown what, if any, remedial work was done.

It fell while Alican Kenar's grandmother and her brother were inside a hospital. More than a week after the earthquake, his grandmother's body was not discovered until Tuesday night.

Mr. Kenar informed us that "someone or some people, as well as the government, of course, are entirely at fault.". Everyone is able to see that it is obvious. This is at fault, not by fate. ".

At the base of the site, other families are still seated; they are covered in dust as the diggers sort through the material.

The families tell us that they used their own money to purchase the equipment and fuel needed to find their missing.

Some claim they have never seen state-funded search and rescue teams; instead, they have only ever seen volunteer teams. In the early days, according to Mr. Kenar, he observed some officials, but they were few in number and were unequipped.

Mr. Kenar claims that the structure was abandoned for two to three days. This reality is very haphazard. If we had been ready, it might have turned out differently. Lessons ought to have been learned. ".

While we were there, the official Turkish search and rescue team, AFAD, arrived but was met with hostility.

One woman shouted, "We've been here waiting for nine days!". The BBC team left the site several hours after the AFAD representatives had left and had not since.

Once to remove a handbag and search through the wallet for any form of ID, recovery workers occasionally take a break from their work.

A shout follows that. They've discovered another body. His hospital wristband serves as proof of identity. The rescuers see a family running forward with their phones full of pictures.

A nod. There is their father. As his body is taken away in a black body bag, his daughters scream, "Papa, Papa!"

Source link

You've successfully subscribed to Webosor
Great! Next, complete checkout to get full access to all premium content.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Unable to sign you in. Please try again.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Error! Stripe checkout failed.
Success! Your billing info is updated.
Billing info update failed.