Police describe the triple homicide in Florida as an act of violence at random

Vehicles from the Orange County Sheriff's office seen in the shooting scene photo

According to Florida police, they are still unsure of the motive behind the shooting deaths of a TV reporter, a woman, and a nine-year-old girl earlier this week.

Although the Orlando shooting suspect was a well-known gang member, police said there was no gang involvement in the attacks.

Two additional victims were shot and are still being treated at a hospital.

According to police, the suspect, who is in custody, has declined to assist with the investigation.

The shootings thus far seem to be a "random act of violence," according to Orange County Sheriff John Mina.

We're still attempting to determine why this occurred, he said.

Nathacha Augustin, 38, was the first person killed in the shooting spree, according to the police on Thursday.

The gunman's arrest warrant states that Ms. Augustin and a friend were in a car in Pine Hills, a suburb west of Orlando, when they spotted the suspect walking down the street.

The suspect accepted the offer of a ride from Ms Augustin's friend and got in the back. The driver claimed that about 30 seconds later, he heard a "loud bang" and saw Ms. Augustin covered in blood.

She was shot on Wednesday around 11:00 (16:00 GMT), according to the police, and the suspect then ran away.

According to police, the suspect went back to the scene of the first murder almost five hours later and started shooting at a Spectrum News 13 crew that was there to cover the earlier shooting.

A 24-year-old TV reporter named Dylan Lyons was killed, and photojournalist Jesse Walden was hurt and taken to the hospital in critical condition.

According to the arrest warrant, the suspect fled the scene after shooting the two journalists and proceeded to a nearby home, where he shot and killed 9-year-old T'yonna Major. Her mother was shot as well and was taken to the hospital in a serious condition.

On Wednesday night, the police named the suspect as Keith Melvin Moses, age 19.

A Glock 40 pistol that was still "hot to the touch" when the shooter was apprehended, according to Mr. Mina, is what he thinks was used in the attacks. He added that it's unknown where he got the gun from.

Commemorations for the violent crime victims who passed away started to arrive on Thursday.

In a GoFundMe page, T'yonna Major's father, Tokiyo Major, stated that his daughter was a gifted gymnast and that her teachers would refer to her as "The Next Gabby Douglas" after the US Olympian.

Everyone who knew her described her as "a light," according to Mr. Major. To us, she meant the world. She was an excellent student who finished first in her third-grade class and could read at a fifth-grade level. ".

Mr. Lyons' former journalism professors and coworkers said the reporter loved what he did and was renowned for serving as a mentor to his peers.

"He was a guy like that. He wasn't merely considering his own grade. He was so amiable with those in his immediate vicinity. Simply put, people enjoyed his company. Rick Brunson, a journalism professor at the University of Central Florida, identified Dylan in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel.

The suspect may have thought the journalists were police because they arrived at the scene in unmarked vehicles, according to the police.

According to public records, the suspect has a long criminal history that dates back to when he was 14 years old.  His prior charges include grand theft of a motor vehicle, armed robbery and domestic violence.

He was accused of robbery with a weapon in 2018. He entered a "low-risk residential" facility for young offenders while serving a concurrent sentence after entering a not guilty plea.

He was most recently arrested on 28 April for failing to appear in court.

Since his arrest, Mr Mina said that the suspect has refused to speak with the authorities.  At one point, he "pretended to be asleep", police said.  He also physically resisted officers and had to be subdued.

The suspect waived his first court appearance on Thursday.  He was ordered to remain in custody.

Source link

You've successfully subscribed to Webosor
Great! Next, complete checkout to get full access to all premium content.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Unable to sign you in. Please try again.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Error! Stripe checkout failed.
Success! Your billing info is updated.
Billing info update failed.